From then until today, wooden furniture has never lost its charm. In its simplicity, it brings out the best in a space by complimenting the other furniture, the colours chosen, and the room’s features. In spite of these merits, wooden furniture also has its downsides. It is difficult to maintain because it is easy to scratch and stain. When these damages accumulate, the wooden furniture ceases to be an attractive asset in a room. This is why people as early as the 12th century France and Italy have used table cloths just to hide these blemishes.
However, it is still best to prevent having damages on the furniture than to cure them. People have used glass table protectors to cover up wooden furniture, especially tables, but they too can easily get broken. Add to that, it is quite expensive. Good thing there is another alternative that is much more economical. These are acrylic table protectors. Similar to glass table protectors, acrylic table protectors are transparent, but unlike the former, the latter is not easily breakable. It is also lighter and more durable.
Acrylic table protectors can be done in the comfort of your homes and this is a plus because you can design them to perfectly fit your wooden tables. It is simple enough to make and all you need are standard household tools. There are two ways on how to make them as seen below:
Method 1 – The Hard Way
- Measure the top surface of the table as accurately as you can down to millimeters (if possible)
- Get an acrylic sheet whose dimensions are larger than the table’s surface by a few centimeters both in height and in width
- Make a boarder using masking tape and draw an outline of the table’s dimensions on it. Take note that you should not draw or put any marks on the acrylic sheet directly
- Using a hack saw, cut around the outline. The hack saw will leave sharp edges so you should leave a few millimeters as allowance because you will need to sand the acrylic to make the edges smoother. Using a jig or a band saw is preferable if you have them.
- Smooth the edges of the acrylic. Use 3 sandpapers with varying grades and apply the coarsest one first then gradually going to the sandpaper with very fine abrasion. This gives you the best possible finish to your table protector.
Method 2 – The Easy Way
- If you do not want to go through all the effort of making your own acrylic table protector, you can order directly from our website. You still have to measure your table’s dimensions as accurately as possible. After that, you can visit our site, select your preferred sheet and input the dimensions. After a few days, your order will be delivered right at your doorstep. We also recommend adding polished edges so your wooden table can have the most pleasing effect.