Kitchen splashbacks is a necessity; they protect kitchen walls from splashes, grease marks and stains. There are numerous websites and in house stores available, which sell kitchen splashbacks. But to choose a durable and long lasting splashback is important. However, splashbacks are available in various materials, whereas plastic such as acrylic and glass tops the charts.
While choosing between two materials, keep in mind that the right material will be the base of the perfect kitchen splashback. Following are the things to keep in mind while buying a kitchen splashback:
- Price – The first and foremost thing to consider while buying a kitchen splashback is its price. Acrylic splashbacks are relatively cheaper than the glass splashbacks. Therefore, if you are on a tight budget plastic or acrylic splashbacks are the best call.
- Heat resistance – A crucial characteristic while selecting the material of a kitchen splashback is to see if the material is heat resistant. Toughened glass can withstand temperatures up to up to 400°C. Most acrylic splashbacks are not suitable for use with a direct heat source such as the rear of electric or gas hobs.
- Durability or Longevity – When you invest money in something, you expect that product to last long and prove out to be durable. Glass splashbacks are made of toughened glass and are therefore relatively strong, but they can still crack if knocked by a frying pan or any other kitchen equipment. On the other hand acrylic splashbacks are tough and virtually impact resistant so they are able to withstand the daily knocks.
- Easier to mount – Glass weighs a lot more than acrylic splashbacks, so they need strong adhesive to support them. Plastic or acrylic splashbacks are light in weight and are therefore easier to apply. Glass splashbacks are prone to breaking or cracking. So, if you choose a glass splashback over an acrylic splashback then be sure that you call a professional to mount the splashback for you.
- Preferable colours – While selecting upon a kitchen splashback, make sure that there are colours available to match your kitchen. A wide range of colours are available in both glass and acrylic splashbacks. It is easy to find the right colour for your kitchen, no matter which material you choose.
- Easier to clean – Kitchen cleaning is always a daunting task and you don’t want to add up to it by buying a kitchen splashback that will be difficult to clean. Glass splashbacks are prone to collecting dust and fingerprints and so regular cleaning is required. Glass splashbacks can be easily cleaned and polished using a wet cloth. Acrylic sheets are prone to scratches. Cleaning it with a simple warm water and soap solution can do the job. However, acrylic splashbacks do not attract dust and therefore remain cleaner for longer while.
Ultimate choice is of the buyer but while buying a kitchen splashback, keep these characteristics in mind. Splashbacks are prone to a lot of damages and stain marks, so always prefer a material that is durable and long lasting.