Acrylic sheets are an excellent alternative to glass. Acrylic sheets steal the show with its performance as it beats glass in following characteristics:
- Impact resistance.
- Resistance to mould growth.
Acrylic sheets are often chosen as a replacement material to mineral glass. Both of them are transparent materials, but they differ in properties and characteristics. Both of these materials serve same purpose. We have listed down a few reasons how can acrylic sheets be used as an alternative to glass.
- Impact resistance – Acrylic has higher impact resistance than glass. In case of any damage, acrylic will not shatter into small pieces but instead, will crack. Acrylic sheets can be used in greenhouses, playhouse windows, shed, airplane windows etc. as an alternative to glass.
- Light transmittance – Acrylic sheets transmit up to 92% light, while glass can only transmit 80-90% light. As transparent as crystal, acrylic sheets transmit and reflect light better than the finest glass.
- Environment friendly – Acrylic is the environment friendly plastic alternative, with sustainable development. After the production of acrylic sheets, they can be recycled through a scrapping process. In this process, the acrylic sheets are crushed, then heated before being re-melted into a liquid syrup. Once the process is completed, new sheets can be made out of it.
- UV resistance – Using acrylic sheets in outdoor exposes the material to potentially high amounts of ultraviolet rays (UV). Acrylic sheets are also available with a UV filter.
- Cost effective – If you are a budget conscious individual, then you’ll be happy to know that acrylic sheets are an economical alternative to using glass. Acrylic sheet can be produced at half the cost of glass. These plastic sheets are lighter in weight and can be easily transported, which makes the shipping costs lower as well.
- Easily fabricated and shaped – Acrylic sheets possess good moulding properties. When heated to 100 degrees, it can be easily moulded into a number of shapes including bottles, pictures frames and tubes. As it cools down, acrylic holds to the formed shape.
- Lightweight – Acrylic weighs 50% less than glass which makes it easier to handle. As compared to glass, acrylic sheets are extremely light to work with and can be easily transported from one place to another.
- Glass like transparency – Acrylic possesses properties to maintain its optical clarity and doesn’t fades out even after some time. Due to its durability and optical clarity, most of the constructors prefer to opt for acrylic sheets to use panels for windows, greenhouse, skylights and store-front windows.
- Safety and strength – There might be a number of reasons you want a superior strength windows. Either you want it for security purpose or for weather resistance. Acrylic sheets have 17 times stronger than the glass, which means it takes a lot more force to shatterproof acrylic. These sheets have been formulated to provide safety, security and strength at the same time.
Over the years, the use of acrylic has surpassed glass in terms of versatility and multiple uses, which makes acrylic glass more economical, durable and practical alternative to glass.