In recent years, acrylic sheets greenhouses have become increasingly popular and look set to overtake glass as the main material used for covering greenhouses. However, both of them are designed to meet different criteria making with different advantages. In this article, we will take a look at the advantages of using acrylic sheets over glass.
Plants grow optimally when there is between 70% and 75% of light. Diffused light is important for greenhouse, acrylic sheets have been designed for light diffusion. As acrylic sheets are thicker than glass, it provides better light diffusion than standard glass. All the plants in the greenhouse will get an equal amount of sunlight, which is essential for plant growth. Lesser or no light diffusion can cause the greenhouse to overheat hence, the burning effect. Acrylic sheets have natural ultraviolet filter, it protects your plants from excessive exposure to harmful radiation.
- Long Lasting
Greenhouses are in house gardens, which makes them prone to a lot of damages. Greenhouses made with glass is an expensive risk in a garden where children play with ball. Acrylic sheets are perfect for greenhouses, its material is stronger than glass, which enables it to take much more damage. Replacing glass is a hassle, as the right size has to be found and it is usually replaced by a contractor as glass is a complex material. Acrylic sheets are strong with an impact resistance being 6 to 7 times greater than glass. However, when it comes to replacement of acrylic sheets, it is much easier. In case of any damage, or other circumstances you can replace the acrylic sheets yourself.
- Cost effective
A few years back people couldn’t even think about building a greenhouse with acrylic sheet. As it seemed expensive to them and more importantly it went against a traditional, existing style. With the growing passage of time prices of acrylic sheets kept decreasing and people started choosing acrylic sheets for building greenhouses. The increase in the use of acrylic sheets is mainly due to scientific advancements, in refining the chemical process through which plastic is made.
- Light weight
Glass can be very heavy, particularly once it is over a certain thickness, so it needs a lot of extra support to hold it safely in place. Acrylic is extremely lightweight, when compared to a sheet of glass. It weighs less than half, an important factor when mounting larger windows and panels on a greenhouse.
- Extended plant growth
Acrylic sheets have a significant impact on the overall performance of a greenhouse, which means that because of acrylic sheet greenhouse there can be extensive plant growth. This lets you grow your favourite fruits and vegetables throughout the year. Acrylic sheets save you from artificial heating, misuse of electricity, time and cost.
Although people still love classic style glass greenhouses but, if you compare the advantages of both materials acrylic sheets win over the glass. Acrylic sheets are gradually taking over the glass and it might not take too long for acrylic greenhouses to take over glass greenhouses completely.
Article # 3
Tips to transform house interior with acrylic
Glass dominates the house interiors when it comes to transparent or translucent surfaces or decors for the home. But glass comes with a lot of cons such as low impact resistance, heavy weight and high cost. With growing time period, glass is losing its dominance since acrylic sheets or Perspex is taking over. Acrylic looks just like glass except it is much stronger and about half the weight. No matter how thick the product is it remains practically clear unlike glass; it has this greenish blue hue.
Here are 7 ways in which you can transform house interiors with acrylic:
- Acrylic coffee table – Glass coffee tables are prone to damage, as glass has low impact resistance. An acrylic coffee table is one of the safest option and house furniture to be replaced with glass. So even if your kids sit and play around the coffee table, you don’t have to fear any damage. In addition, it almost disappears into the rest of the decor to help the room feel spacious.
- Reusable acrylic calendar – Buying a new calendar or an organiser every year is a hassle and it adds up to the monthly cost. However, getting an acrylic calendar will let you mark important schedules, dates and events on it with an erasable marker. What makes it reusable? It doesn’t include months in it so you can keep reusing it every month, which makes it last for years.
- Acrylic shelves – People usually deal with broken glass shelves, because of heavy objects on it or while dusting and cleaning it. Acrylic shelves are your best replacement option so that you don’t have to worry about any damage. They are much lighter in weight than glass but they have high impact resistance. Acrylic have a quality of being clear which beautifies the room.
- Acrylic bar chairs or stools – People who have bars at their places want it to look open and spacious. Bar stools and chairs typically don’t take up much space but keeping an acrylic bar or stool appear to take up even less space due to their clarity and no blue hues.
- Acrylic chair and desk – Home offices are gaining popularity day by day. When we talk about home offices, we think about an informal room at home. However, you can add a minimalistic and sophisticated look to your home office by replacing traditional wooden chairs or desk with acrylic chairs or desk. The clarity and transparency gives a sleek look to your home office.
- Acrylic door handles and pulls – Acrylic is clear than glass and it is durable, it does not turn yellow and it doesn’t chip out. They are scratch resistant and easy to clean, so if you have kids who, open doors with messy hands acrylic is best use for you.
- Acrylic windows – Since acrylic has high impact resistance, replacing a normal glass window with acrylic is the best option. Acrylic can take a hit from a ball, flying debris during a storm and hail storms. In addition, acrylic can be easily replaced as it is available in multitude shapes and sizes.